Pearson went to his first dentist appointment today. He did a great job! The office was not busy, at all, and the staff was very friendly and laid back. The dentist, Dr. Miles, talked to Pearson and sang songs about "sugar bugs" the entire time he was working with him. (By the way, I had no idea there were so many songs about sugar bugs. Judging my some of the lyrics, some of them might have been Dr. Miles originals.) I think the constant chatter kept Pearson's mind off what was going on.
.
The only problem we had was when Dr. Miles was explaining to Pearson how they were going to attach his "paper napkin" to him. Pearson was lying on the chair, nice and calm, listening to everything the doctor was saying. Then, Dr. Miles said, "Now, I'm going to put this alligator clip around your neck." Pearson's hands instantly flew up and his whole body shook. I know the only words he heard were "alligator" and "around you neck". We had to show him that the clip looked like an alligator mouth. He was okay once he understood and immediately began to smile. It makes me laugh out loud to imagine what he was thinking.
.
The entire office has a wilderness theme. There is a camping are in the waiting room. Notice the sign to the left: "Base Camp Elv 36 in"
.
Waiting on the doctor and watching Cars on the flat screen above his chair.
.
Notice the doctor's strategically placed arm, ready for a headlock maneuver.
.
This was right before Pearson said, "You don't need to stick that mirror IN my mouth."
.
His choices for toothpaste were bubble gum, raspberry, or chocolate. He is obviously related to his mother, he chose chocolate.
.
Getting x-rays.
I think I may be more proud of Kirby and me for remembering to brush Pearson's teeth as much as we do. No cavities, no plaque build-up, and no discolorations!
It is amazing to me how brave kids can be. How overwhelming must it be to everyday encounter things you have never seen or experienced before? I know we were all kids and we all went through childhood, but it still amazes me.
Thanks to Stephanie Dutton for the referral! Here's a link to their website http://www.cherokeechildrensdentistry.com/
Labels: dentist, Pearson
1 Comments:
So cute! That dentist office is so cool!!!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home